Skip to main content

 April 20, 2022

I am back home.  This is where I stayed in Krakow.


On Monday, I wandered into this church.  It was the first walk from where I was staying to someplace other than where the van was parked.  Easter Sunday continues into Monday in this predominantly Catholic city.


This modest exterior opens into an almost painfully beautiful chapel, with stained glass windows.  I walked in and it seemed natural to walk then kneel in a pew.  Looking up at Christ on the cross, I immediately started to sob.  So much suffering.

Not with any disrespect, and certainly not the first person to have felt this, I wanted to admonish him to climb down from that cross and do something, do more, to help those suffering. What was the Resurrection if not hope?  Isn’t grace supposed to flow, not to those who have earned it, but those most in need of it?

I imagined Rob Sturgill’s voice.  I think Rob exists in a state of grace, optimistically and enthusiastically preaching the gospel through not words, but actions.

“What do you mean do that something? He sent you, and John, and me, , and so many others.  We can’t know the plan, trust it’s unfolding as it should, Type of Wood.  But, yes, the suffering breaks my heart, too”

Rob and I didn’t meet more than once, talked in person only once.  But I smile thinking about his energy, his optimism, his faith.

I felt a call, an urgent need, to come here, I felt that this was the case for the people from all over the world, of every faith and no faith, who were here, In Korczowa and Medyka, simply because there are so many in need here,  And they/we want to stand against this cruelty.

I don’t know how the book would stand up now, but back in the day I really enjoyed the novel, Shogun, by James Clavell.

In it, Toranaga, the Japanese shogun, asks Blackthorne, the Englishman, why the Catholics and Protestants in his country are fighting with each other. He says they’re fighting over the correct understanding of God and how he wants to be worshipped, wants people to live.

Toranaga gets impatient, saying I asked a serious question, don’t toy with me. Why are they really fighting?

Blackthorne says, no, that’s really it.  How could that possibly be, Toranaga asks.  He concludes they must all be mad.

There is none of that here.

AS I was walking back from the church, I was thinking about the rabbi who helped prepare me for my bar mitzvah and my fifth grade teacher, Pearl Henschel.

I had terrible handwriting, probably related to poor eye-hand coordination at that age.  Most teachers,thinking they were helping, harassed me endlessly about doing writing exercises, telling me to try harder, to correct something that maturation would help, to an extent.

Zmrs. Henschel told my mother she wasn’t concerned at all about any of that, I would no doubt have a secretary (!), and when she could eventually decipher it, the things I was writing about were pretty interesting.  She like the way I was thinking, and what I was thinking about.

Though from a selectively observant Jewish family, typical of my time and place, I liked the rabbi helping me prepare for my bar mitzvah a lot.  He was a real scholar and had a heart.  There was dissatisfaction in the congregation with him as a fundraiser.  No one is a more exquisite social critic nor angrier than a teenager so you can imagine how much I ran with that.  To me he was the real deal.

He also told me he wasn’t worried about me (perhaps he could tell I was getting other messages about this).  He said there were the rituals, and they had their place, and maybe I wouldn’t follow them.  The rituals weren’t the essence.  I had a good heart and he wasn’t worried about things working out between me and God.  He was sure I would get the essential things right.

I was in tears thinking about these two I hadn’t thought about in almost half a century.  I hoped I had been proving them right about me, and me about them:  that individuals showing small kindnesses make a huge difference.

You are proving them right too.  Thank you for you kindness towards me and the people of Ukraine.


Comments

  1. What an incredibly deep experience it sounds like this whole trip has been -- your work in Poland with the Ukrainian refugees, and all that surrounded it. I am moved and inspired by the work you have done there, and all the people whose lives you touched, and by your recounting of what has happened within you while you were there.
    And the surprising gift of connecting with memories of some of your earliest and best teachers and mentors. Recalling and appreciating their "small" kindnesses with far-reaching implications.
    Thank you for sharing so deeply of yourself on many levels, David!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

  This is the Medyka Border Crossing at Przemsysl.  It is emotionally overwhelming to simply pull up to it, as I did for the first time yesterday.  There are cars and vans from organizations from all over the world.  There is a big bus out front with refugees - families, holding garbage bags with their clothes, moms carrying their children’s scooters, stuffed bears, strollers. This is as close as you can get to take a picture.  Picture taking is strictly forbidden any closer, for privacy and to maintain dignity. To get in the building, you must be registered as a volunteer.  The first step is getting covid tested.  On the line to be tested I met two groups from Israel, one Jewish and one Christian, and a former Oakland PD officer.   He told me he had been shot five times to stop an investigation that was getting too close for someone’s comfort and was retired due to PTSD.  Frank (not his name) said he was here trying to decide whether to try to join in the fighting or do humanitarian a
 April 14, 2022 I make my first trip to the airport, rather than the train station.  It is a family of six, with grandparents, parents, and children.  I drop another mother and son in the city center, to catch a plane the next day. This trip I ask Elena, who speaks English and is the first person to sign up, to help find others to fill the van.  She does and we are quickly on our way.  I am porter as well as driver, loading suitcases into the van.  I enjoy this a lot. Elena and her college age son, Serkii, are on their way to Spain. A university there has offered to enroll Serkii to enable him to continue his studies.  Elena informs me that Dnipro, where they are from, is and has been a center for rocket research and development. This started when Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union and continues in the present.  Elena conveys that she understands that Russian rockets aimed at the United States were developed there.  I turn this over in my mind for a while. Now Dnipro is a science hub
 April 11, 2022 Today I went directly to Korczowa refugee center.  This is posted in places around the center. Children are running, jumping, scootering, chasing each other, zipping in and out of depressed adults.  Not all the adults, but many of them. Faces that look like lead masks. A lot of sleeping during the day. My guess is that the ones that have not been able to find a place to go are the ones who look the most leaden.  Because the people I’ve been transporting, for the most part, seem very happy to be leaving for somewhere else. I am developing something of a network in Korczowa.  This includes Alex, who is a Jewish Ukrainian man living in New Jersey.  He is here as an interpreter with an organization called Russians for Ukraine.  He did some interpreting for me and we exchanged numbers.  If he isn’t physically present, I call him, put him on speaker, and he translates.  As he interacts with people, he may become aware of people needing a ride, and put them in touch with me. A